Re: [xmca] more questions about Sawchuk and Stetsenko article: whose sociology???

From: Steve Gabosch <stevegabosch who-is-at me.com>
Date: Wed Dec 10 2008 - 20:34:53 PST

Andy, picking up on a comment you made about Leontiev, I am not sure
he was not specifically addressing some of your considerations about
motive and need. Nor am I sure he was. He seems to see at least some
parts of both the subjective and objective aspects, and appears to
work at viewing them from both a psychological as well as sociological
perspective. Which is not to say he fully achieves any of these. I
am still scoping out Leontiev, although the more I read him, the more
I become impressed with his efforts to theorize activity and account
for all sides. Anna Stetsenko's 2005 article in MCA, which we
discussed here on xmca, offers some persuasive arguments for seeing
Leontiev as undertheorizing the specific role of subjectivity in
shaping activity and individual transformation. But his concept of
motive, or need, might not be quite as one-sided as you may be
suggesting.

I bring this up because Haydi's interesting quote from Leontiev nudged
me to review a really interesting and helpful sequence of quotes from
L. that Haydi had sent to xmca last summer in response to a question I
had asked him. I looked back at them because I was wondering if any
of these quotes might be applicable to what you are speaking to. Some
are. I searched Haydi's selection of quotes to where they came from
in Leontiev's Activity, Consciousness and Personality to find the
precise origin of each one, and get a better idea of their context.
Some of the most relevant ones came from a particular section.

I was also looking at Haydi's selection of quotes from Leontiev
because I realized that I had neglected to thank Haydi at the time for
doing that, which hearing from him again suddenly reminded of. So -
thank you, Haydi!

I am not prepared to argue that Leontiev had a well-rounded theory of
motive and need. The question of need and motive is extremely
important in psychology, of course, so however far Leontiev got
exploring that question, that is obviously one of the places CHAT must
start from to continue its inquiry. I hope over time that rather than
dismissing Leontiev, CHAT thinkers deepen their critique - and where
warranted, their appreciation of his work.

I thought I might quote a section from ACP (Chapter 3, section 2),
entitled The Category of Objective Activity. It is long, but has a
number of interesting points. I think some of this section has been
quoted before on xmca, and of course you and many others on xmca have
read this material before.

A central idea I think Leontiev is trying to get at here is that needs
do not just have a subjective content. A need by itself, with no
object to express itself in or toward, is aimless. It is not yet an
activity. Once directed at an object, the need itself becomes
transformed. For one thing, new needs arise. This is significant
both subjectively and objectively. To get a drink of water I may need
to walk from point A to point B, but if an obstacle is in the way, I
will need to walk around that on the way.

Leontiev says "The meeting of need with object is an extraordinary
act. Charles Darwin noted it in his time; certain data of I. P. Pavlov
support it; D. N. Uznadze speaks about it as a condition for the
beginning of purpose; and contemporary etiologists give it a brilliant
description. This extraordinary act is an act objectifying need,
“filling” it with content derived from the surrounding world. This
is what brings need to a truly psychological level."

As an aside, there are a few I notice about Leontiev's writing in
these passages that may contribute to making him a difficult read,
which I think he is. One, I wonder if a better translation would help
- some of the grammar and style seems wrong. Two, I wonder if
Leontiev himself is not the clearest writer - he may be difficult to
read in Russian, and therefore hard to translate. Three, I always
worry if scanned text posted on the internet is exactly correct -
letters and punctuation marks occasionally get lost or changed, which
of course impacts clarity and meaning. Fourth, Leontiev seems to be
talking to a narrow audience where he can assume high familiarity with
his ideas and terms, and therefore can use summary, abstract phrases
for ideas he has described elsewhere that would be better spelled out
a little more were he writing for a broader audience. Fifth, he has
what I find a disorienting habit of unexpectedly moving back and forth
between observations about animal and human activity without reminding
the reader of the difference, and that he himself is very clear on the
difference (which I believe he is, as seen for example in The Problems
of the Development of Mind).

A possible problem, by the way, of substituting the concept of
"project" for "activity" is this could sever the zoopsychological side
of activity theory. Only humans have projects, but both humans and
animals engage in activity. Interestingly, the zoological aspects of
cultural-historical activity theory rarely get discussed in third
generation CHAT literature. (Here is a small example of the reading
difficulties in these passages: Leontiev or at least the translator
uses the somewhat misleading term the "prehistory of human activity"
to refer to the evolution of animal activity). A methodological
problem with losing sight of the animal aspects of activity could be
the conflation of the biological and social in human activity, of
seeing all human activity as purely social. In my opinion,
compressing the biological up into the social is as erroneous as
reducing the social to the biological.

Finally, another interesting thing about these passages and
Leontiev's approach to activity how his approach to activity might
shed light on the discussion Peter and Anna have provoked about CHAT
and sociology. When Leontiev says "Introducing the category of
activity into psychology changes the whole conceptual system of
psychological knowledge," and asks "how exactly activity enters into
psychology," it makes we wonder the same things in relation to
sociology: how does the category of activity change the conceptual
system of sociological knowledge? How, exactly, does activity enter
into sociology - and sociology into activity?

Here's ANL.

***********************************
 From Chapter 3 "The Problem of Activity and Psychology" in Activity,
Consciousness, and Personality (1978) by A.N. Leontiev
http://www.marxists.org/archive/leontev/works/1978/ch3.htm

3.2. The Category of Objective Activity
Activity is a molar, not an additive unit of the life of the physical,
material subject. In a narrower sense, that is, at the psychological
level, it is a unit of life, mediated by psychic reflection, the real
function of which is that it orients the subject in the objective
world. In other words, activity is not a reaction and not a totality
of reactions but a system that has structure, its own internal
transitions and transformations, its own development.

Introducing the category of activity into psychology changes the whole
conceptual system of psychological knowledge. But for this it is
necessary to take this category as a whole with its most important
dependences and determinations: from the aspect of its structure and
in its specific dynamics, in its various aspects and forms. In other
words, what we are concerned with here is answering the question of
how exactly the category of activity enters into psychology. This
question presents a series of theoretical problems that are far from
being resolved. It is self-evident that I can touch on only certain of
these problems.

Human psychology is concerned with the activity of concrete
individuals that takes place either in conditions of open association,
in the midst of people, or eye to eye with the surrounding object
world – before the potter’s wheel or behind the writing desk. Under
whatever kind of conditions and forms human activity takes place,
whatever kind of structure it assumes, it must not be considered as
isolated from social relations, from the life of society. In all of
its distinctness, the activity of the human individual represents a
system included in the system of relationships of society. Outside
these relationships human activity simply does not exist. Just how it
exists is determined by those forms and material and spiritual means
(Verkehr) that result from the development of production and that
cannot be realized otherwise than in the concrete activity of people.

It is self-evident that the activity of every individual man depends
on his place in society, on the conditions that are his lot, and on
how this lot is worked out in unique, individual circumstances.

It is particularly important to guard against understanding human
activity as a relationship that exists between man and an opposing
society. This must be stressed because psychology is now being flooded
with positivist conceptions that are in every way imposing the idea of
opposition of the human individual to society. For man society
constitutes only that external environment to which he is forced to
accommodate, in order not to appear “nonadapted,” and to survive in
exactly the same way as an animal is forced to adapt to an external,
natural environment. From this point of view human activity is formed
as a result of its reinforcement, even if not direct reinforcement
(for example, through evaluation expressed by a “reviewer” group).
In this the main point is lost – the fact that in society a man finds
not simply external conditions to which he must accommodate his
activity, but that these same social conditions carry in themselves
motives and goals of his activity, his means and methods; in a word,
society produces the activity of the individuals forming it. Of
course, this does not mean at all that their activity only personifies
the relationships of society and its culture. There are complex
transformations and transitions that connect them so that no direct
information of one to the other is possible. For a psychology that is
limited by the concept “socialization” of the psyche of the
individual without its further analysis, these transformations remain
a genuine secret. This psychological secret is revealed only in the
investigations of the genesis of human activity and its internal
structure.

A basic or, as is sometimes said, a constituting characteristic of
activity is its objectivity. Properly, the concept of its object
(Gegenständ) is already implicitly contained in the very concept of
activity. The expression “objectless activity” is devoid of any
meaning. Activity may seem objectless, but scientific investigation of
activity necessarily requires discovering its object. Thus, the object
of activity is twofold: first, in its independent existence as
subordinating to itself and transforming the activity of the subject;
second, as an image of the object, as a product of its property of
psychological reflection that is realized as an activity of the
subject and cannot exist otherwise.

In the very beginning of activity and psychological reflection their
objective nature is disclosed. Thus it was shown that the life of
organisms in a homogeneous, even though changing, medium may develop
only in the form of complication of that system of elementary
functions that sustain their existence. Only in a transition to life
in a discrete medium – that is, to life in a world of objects that
affect processes, that have a direct biotic significance are processes
built up resulting from activities that may be neutral and abiotic in
themselves but that orient it in relation to activity of the first
kind. The formation of these processes that facilitate fundamental
vital functions takes place because biotic properties of the object
(for instance, its nutritional properties) are as if hidden behind
other “superficial” properties. These properties are superficial in
the sense that before the effects of biotic activity can be tested, it
is necessary, figuratively speaking, to pass through these properties
(for example, mechanical properties of a hard body in relation to its
chemical properties).

Of course, I am omitting here any statement of the concrete,
scientific basis for the theoretical positions referred to, just as I
have in the evaluation of the problem of their internal connections
with the teaching of I. P. Pavlov about the signal function of
conditional stimuli and about orientating reflexes; I have explained
both of these points in other papers.

Thus the prehistory of human activity begins when the life processes
acquire objectivity. This implies also the appearance of elementary
forms of psychic reflection – the transformation of irritability
(irribilitas) into sensitivity (sensibilitas), into the “capacity for
sensation.”

Further evolution of behavior and the psyche of animals may be
adequately understood specifically as a history of the development of
the objective content of activity. At every new stage there appeared
an ever more complete subordination of effect or processes of activity
to objective connections and relations of the properties of the
objects with which the animals interacted. The objective world seemed
all the more to “intrude” into activity. Thus the movement of an
animal along a fence is subordinated to the “geometry,” becomes
assimilated by it, and carries it within itself; the movement of a
jump is subordinated to the objective metrics of the environment and
the selection of a way around, to interobject relationships.

The development of the objective content of activity finds its
expression in subsequent development of psychic reflection, which
regulates the activity in the objective environment.

All activity has a circular structure: initial afferentation →
effector processes regulating contacts with the objective environment
→ correction and enrichment by means of reverse connections of the
original afferent image. Now the circular character of the processes
that realize the interaction of the organism with the environment
appears to be universally recognized and sufficiently well described
in the literature. The main point, however, is not the circular
structure in itself but that the psychic reflection of the object
world is generated directly not by external forces (including among
these “reverse” forces) but by those processes through which the
subject enters into practical contact with the object world, and
which, for this reason, are necessarily subordinated to his
independent properties, connections, and relations. This means that
the “afferentator” that directs the processes of activity initially
is the object itself and only secondarily its image as a subjective
product of activity that fixes, stabilizes, and carries in itself its
objective content. In other words, a double transfer is realized: the
transfer object → process of activity, and the transfer activity →
its subjective product. But the transfer of the process into the form
of the product does not take place only at the pole of the subject.
Even more clearly it takes place at the pole of the object transformed
by human activity; in this case the activity of the subject
controlling the psychic image is transferred into an “extinction
property” (ruhende Eigenschaft) of its objective product.

At first glance it seems that the representation about the objective
nature of the psyche refers only to the sphere of proper cognitive
processes; this concept seems not to be applied to the sphere of needs
and emotions. This, however, is not so.

The views of the emotional-need sphere as a sphere of states and
processes, the nature of which lies in the subject himself and which
only change their appearances under the pressure of external
conditions, are based on a merging in essence of various categories, a
merging that makes itself evident especially in the problem of needs.

In the psychology of needs it is necessary from the very beginning to
proceed from the following fundamental distinction: the distinction of
need as an internal condition, as one of the necessary precursors of
activity, and need as that which directs and regulates concrete
activity of the subject in an objective environment. “Hunger is
capable of raising an animal up on its feet, capable of giving the
hunt a more or less fervent character, but there is no element in
hunger that would direct the hunt one way or another or modify it to
make it conform to the requirements of the location or of chance
meetings,” wrote Sechenov. Need is an object of psychological
cognition especially in its directing function. In the first place,
need appears only as a condition of the need of the organism and is in
itself not capable of evoking any kind of positively directed
activity; its function is limited to the activation of appropriate
biological function and general excitation of the motor sphere
apparent in nondirected seeking movements. Only as a result of its
“meeting” with an object that answers it does it first become
capable of directing and regulating activity.

The meeting of need with object is an extraordinary act. Charles
Darwin noted it in his time; certain data of I. P. Pavlov support it;
D. N. Uznadze speaks about it as a condition for the beginning of
purpose; and contemporary etiologists give it a brilliant description.
This extraordinary act is an act objectifying need, “filling” it
with content derived from the surrounding world. This is what brings
need to a truly psychological level.

The development of needs at this level takes place in the form of
development of their objective content. Incidentally, it may be said
that this condition makes it possible to understand the appearance in
man of new needs, including those that have no analogues in animals,
are not “connected” to biological needs of the organism, and, in
this sense, appear “automatic“. Their formation is explained by the
fact that in human society needed objects are produced and owing to
this the needs themselves are produced.

Thus needs direct activity on the part of the subject, but they are
capable of fulfilling this function only under conditions that they
are objects. From this arises the possibility of the reversal of terms
that allowed K. Lewin to speak about the motivating force of objects
themselves (Aufforderungscharakter).

No different is the situation with emotion and feelings. Here too it
is necessary to distinguish, on the one hand, nonobjective, aesthetic,
authentic conditions and other proper emotions and feelings aroused by
the relationship between the objective activity of the subject and his
needs and motives. But it is necessary to speak about this separately.
In connection with the analysis of activity, it is sufficient to
indicate that objectivity of activity is responsible not only for the
objective character of images but also for the objectivity of needs,
emotions, and feelings.

Of course, the process of development of objective content of needs is
not one-sided. Its other side consists of the fact that the object of
activity in itself appears to the subject as fulfilling one of his
needs or another. Thus needs arouse activity and direct it on the part
of the subject, but they are incapable of fulfilling those functions
in such a way that they appear objective.

<end>