RE: [xmca] Project based Instruction

From: Duvall, Emily <emily who-is-at uidaho.edu>
Date: Sun Jul 20 2008 - 06:29:02 PDT

It is "The Hundred Languages of Children: The Reggio Emilia Approach to Early Childhood Education" by Edwards, Gandini, Forman. Although there are other texts that also begin with "the hundred languages of children"... based on

One of my graduate students, Monica - who posts here from time to time - has been a teacher in a local Reggio school here in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho and it is a focus of her research. She may be able to help you more. She will also be joining me at ISCAR and will be doing a poster presentation on some of her work in this area.

Meanwhile, just for the joy of it... Malaguzzi's poem....

The Hundred Languages

No way. The hundred is there.

The child
is made of one hundred.
The child has
a hundred languages
a hundred hands
a hundred thoughts
a hundred ways of thinking
of playing, of speaking.

A hundred always a hundred
ways of listening
of marveling, of loving
a hundred joys
for singing and understanding
a hundred worlds
to discover
a hundred worlds
to invent
a hundred worlds
to dream.

The child has
a hundred languages
(and a hundred hundred hundred more)
but they steal ninety-nine.
The school and the culture
separate the head from the body.
They tell the child:
to think without hands
to do without head
to listen and not to speak
to understand without joy
to love and to marvel
only at Easter and at Christmas.

They tell the child:
to discover the world already there
and of the hundred
they steal ninety-nine.

They tell the child:
that work and play
reality and fantasy
science and imagination
sky and earth
reason and dream
are things
that do not belong together.

And thus they tell the child
that the hundred is not there.
The child says:
No way. The hundred is there.

-Loris Malaguzzi (translated by Lella Gandini)
Founder of the Reggio Emilia Approach