RE: [xmca] More questions related to the vast digest of literaryoutput and the tension between individual and cultural development

From: Michael Glassman <MGlassman who-is-at ehe.osu.edu>
Date: Wed Jul 09 2008 - 12:10:08 PDT

Monica,

This is an argument that has been going on for the better part of a century, perhaps as long as humans have lived in communities. Which is better - a representative democracy or a participatory democracy. At its base this is an argument about information and how people use it. Those who believe in representative democracy believe there should be a well chosen, well trained elite that sifts through information and distills it to the general public. Those who believe in a participatory democracy believe given good information, and enough of it, people will make good decisions, often times better decisions than their purported experts. This was Dewey's argument, if you give people good information they will in the end make good decisions. It is what Friere based a good part of his Pedagogy of the Oppressed on I think - you gain literacy in an attempt to increase access to information.

There are difficulties of course. People have a difficult time assimilating to new information, especially when the ways they already think is important to their identity. In democratic education I think you basically try and get people to listen to each other, to believe a key idea can come from any quarter. People do close off to knew ideas, but experts are at least as capable of this as novices.

Michael