Re: [xmca] Vygotsky's Historicism and Language Play

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun Apr 13 2008 - 17:22:28 PDT

Very thoughtful of you to send such an elaborate present, David. I have had
three today.
Pointing to the uncritical definitions found in textbooks of people
associated with activity theory
of the concept of development (including one I had a hand in constructing),
Michael does a great
job of tracing how the notion that "parents.schools create a concept of
development that has schooling
as its proximate goal and longer goal - to sustain social order) is produced
in the semiotically mediated
worlds of school and how these are recreated.

If is very reminisent of the impusle underlying Yrjo's article on
development as breaking away. It is aimed
directly at the question of whether or not parental teleologies are THE
teleology of the kid "or else" -- or
else you will be marginalized and criminalized. It seems REALLY relevant
the recent discussion on XMCA.

Then a student wrote some really idea-inducing thoght. "Something original"
-)

Then your note.
Been a real lucky day. And, as I remarked to Michael, other semiotic means.
mike

First was the pleasure of reading Michael's article in the revised Outlines,
now "Critical Social Studies". Volume 9, number 1. Micha