Re: [xmca] Request for Panelist Names on CHAT History

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Tue Sep 11 2007 - 09:12:02 PDT

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Lois Holzman wrote:

> I've always thought the lack of dogma, definition and exclusivity was a
> strength of CHAT.
> Lois

I agree, and I think that's how it looks to folks who might be considered
CHAT afficianados. Interestingly, though, I have heard some people who are
coming from outside the CHAT community characterize CHAT as a movement
that looks, to them, comparatively dogmatic -- compared to the
disciplinary traditions where they feel at home. I've heard remarks about
preoccupation with LSV's work (and/or Marx, Hegel, etc.) as a kind of
scripture, for example, such that people are concerned with properly
interpreting LSV's writing, and using that as a kind of authority, in ways
that seem to them unlike anything that happens in their own fields of
research.

To CHAT folk this no doubt seem like a completely unrecognizable
characterization.

What do you think?