Re: [xmca] Fundamental Questions

From: Michael A. Evans <mae who-is-at vt.edu>
Date: Tue Sep 04 2007 - 09:41:25 PDT

Mike and All,

Thank you very much for the links and resources - the chapter provided below
is especially helpful for preparing to respond to the question of ontology,
the "basic concept of reality"...chapter 3 of the same source addresses
epistemology, which I'll look at as well...

I may be misguided here, but when I referred to social constructivism I was
thinking (primarily) of an epistemology, how one comes to know and what that
knowledge is, that was equally influenced by social interaction and cultural
context - thus, my students and I are exploring intermental development of
higher order thinking, this is the focus of Stahl's text...another concept
we're exploring is "intersubjective meaning making," which Suthers (2006)
has proposed as an important research agenda for CSCL:
http://tinyurl.com/3agcgl

The dialectical unity of opposites (say, individual vs. collective) is very
intriguing as a line of thought and is supported in one of our readings from
this week: Dalgarno, B. (2001). Interpretations of constructivism and
consequences for computer assisted learning. British Journal of Educational
Technology, 32(2), 183-194.

In this piece, Dalgarno cites Moshman (1982) to identify 3 strands of
constructivism - endogenous, exogenous, and dialectical, dialectical
constructivism defined as an approach that "emphasises the role of social
interaction in the learner's knowledge construction process, leading to an
emphasis on cooperative and collaborative learning strategies" (p. 190)...

I must say that what I found encouraging during last night's class was that
although students were admittedly uncomfortable with concepts such as "a
world without withins," they were willing to "hang in there" to explore the
possibilities of a non-dualistic approach...

Thanks, again!
Michael~

--
michael a. evans