Re: [xmca] Psyche Mining - Cross Culture Decision Making Activities

From: Naeem Hashmi <nhashmi who-is-at infoframeworks.com>
Date: Tue Jun 26 2007 - 15:46:27 PDT

Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. I see great need for such basic research. Today, Internet based advertisement applications use embedded intelligence (derived through basic data mining models) through use of Cognitive patterns. I had discussions with leading Internet Ad companies on design of such solution... Due to NDAs I can't disclose how they do it. But the way business is evolving in the future - distributed across the globe through [web]services - will use very different application architectures than what we use today. Its all about use of integrating knowledge back in the business system to make intelligent decisions to improve profitability.

CRM (customer relations management) tools today classify certain calls/complaints through voice pattern analysis and content mining. Then they use the derived knowledge to improve 'future' customer support/responses...and increase revenues. These are a very simple and real practices today. Most algorithms used today are designed to mine 'english' content even if source is in different language... and here one 'losses lot, especially the emotions, in the translation'. Moreover these mining tasks are 'word frequencies driven without much context of when the dialogue was captured (business process stream). As we move toward global (culturally mixed) collaborative business, the need for cultured-centered decision making process will be extremely important.

Last year, during one of my workshops on data mining, I used US department of Highway Accident database for analysis. This database had structured content (car model, driver, age, location, deaths, etc..) and textual description. As part of analysis, you use clustering techniques to understand how an accident was described (and state of mind) and then you bounce discovered clusters against structured information to identify root causes of accidents accurately. Most applications today deal with historical data, no geo-global context and when you add geo dimension, one must consider the cultural-psyche as well -- but all to be done almost in real time. Homeland-Security and DOD folks are doing some research on Gesture mining (today, used for soldiers to expose them with Arabic gestures) but they are very limited in scope (in lab) but I believe such research will end-up is business domain at some time.

Yes. I agree, this is such a complex proposition and the blanket terms need a lot more detail explanation which I am planning to include in my next book 'analytics design strategies.' However, the intent here is to take culture-induced-cognitive science and blend it with the art of 'application design' for future business applications. I always have taken a very complex ideas and brought them in the real world in the applications domains... I am new to this group and eager to learn.. but in reality I am an Experimental Nuclear Physicist, Radiological Health Physicists and Environmental Scientist with 8 years in academia (including Dartmouth) and 20 years in Technology Development (DEC).

How real this concept is? I say very real in next 6-10 years. Baby solutions (as discussed above) are here today. I advise technology providers (SAP, and many more) on their product visions and architecture. SAP is world largest software company. I was one of the architect to help SAP design their Business Intelligence (BI) an CRM platform. The BI is most important component of overall SAP's future applications. So I see a huge opportunity of 'Psyche-mining in the years to come. But success depends on basic research first. This is what the purpose of Center of Knowledge Engineering is all about and I look forward to learning from 'Cross Culture Decision Making Activities" group.

Regards,
Naeem