Re: [xmca] "Psychology of Art" and "Literature and Revolution"

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jun 07 2007 - 10:53:07 PDT

This is amazing, Anton.That poem is NOT in Tristia in the "Complete Poetry"
volume. (Or I cannot find it there). But what blew me away was the Russian
of the Swallow:

     Я слово позабылъ, что я хот*e*лъ сказать:
     Сл*e*пая ласточка въ чертогъ т*e*ней вернется

Literally, isn't this:

I forget the word I wanted to say,
And the blind swallow returns to the hall of shadows.
(I am not sure of the word, chertog, and do not have a Russian-English
dictionary to hand.

I spoke with Vladimir Zinchenko just now and have sent him your long
note, David. For sure the second phrase is "dead words stink" but I
need to get the whole fragment and figure out where it came from. Perhaps
Volodya can help us, and I will ask the seminarians tomorrow.