RE: [xmca] FW: The functional method of double stimulation - and somephotographs

From: Paula Towsey <paulat who-is-at johnwtowsey.co.za>
Date: Wed May 30 2007 - 01:20:20 PDT

Dear Mike and Anton

Although Vygotsky maintains that solving the problem of the blocks isn't
dependent on 'previous experience or knowledge' (T&L, 1986, pp.97-98), I
found that there are other elements of a school-like nature that Vygotsky
apparently did not discuss in Chapter Five of T&L. His introduction to this
(finely crafted and delicate) instrument starts along these lines:

"The functional method of double stimulation in the study of concept
formation begins by introducing nonsense words that from the beginning have
no meaning for the subject. According to Vygotsky, the introduction of
nonsense words was adapted from Ach's (1921) use of nonsense words in his
experimental procedures. These nonsense words are artificial concepts that
actually mean a combination of characteristics, of real attributes, but "for
which no ready concept and word exist" in the given language (1986, p. 97).
This experimental method is designed to reveal the processes involved in the
subject's coming to understand the nonsense words and, at the same time, to
reveal the development of these concepts. The procedure can be used with
adults and children because solving the problem doesn't depend on or
presuppose prior experience or knowledge of the words and concepts in the
experiment: the experiment doesn't use 'tall', 'short', 'large' or 'small'
on their own, but combines these into new relationships exemplified in the
words cev, bik, mur, and lag." (Towsey, 2007, p.58)

For your interest, I've attached my discussion of the three-year-olds'
these children well for a rote-style approach to education!

Paula