[xmca] promoting hate

From: Peter Smagorinsky <smago who-is-at uga.edu>
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 06:52:59 PDT

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=741
At this link you'll find an article on a tenured, full professor at
CSU-Long Beach. His publications are explicitly anti-semitic and, more
recently, racist.
It raises some interesting questions. He's been able to use "academic
freedom" to justify his beliefs. So, where does a crackpot theory end and
academic freedom begin? And when the publications are bigoted at heart,
what is the responsibility of an administration and faculty? Right wingers
have begun "outing" liberal professors and exposing the ways in which their
politics infiltrate their teaching. We tend to be outraged at such
meddling. What's the difference between the Southern Poverty Law Center's
outing of this guy, and David Horowitz's outing of bell hooks et al.? (see
http://campusprogress.org/soundvision/756/david-horowitzs-101-most-dangerous-academics-in-america)

btw I get this publication because I send contributions to the SPLC, which
has been fighting bigotry for years. If you believe that investigative work
of this sort is important, they could use your donation to staff this
magazine, do their research, file and pursue lawsuits, etc.
Peter Smagorinsky
The University of Georgia
Department of Language and Literacy Education
125 Aderhold Hall
Athens, GA 30602-7123
smago@uga.edu /fax:706-542-4509/phone:706-542-4507/
http://www.coe.uga.edu/lle/faculty/smagorinsky/index.html