Re: [xmca] Happy birthday

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon May 07 2007 - 14:39:01 PDT

David,

  I'm not sure what the grounds of your claims about Chavez are or who you include in your list of "populist leaders". A lot of claims but not a single concrete historical example or presentation of socio-economic data to substantiate them. However, when you write:

  "[Chavez'] Latin Americanism is not helping to create a real southern american
alternative but has antagonized many countries against him, including
Peru, Chile and Brazil."

  I think you're not keeping up with political news from the Southern Hemisphere of the Americas. Several months ago Chavez signed a cooperation agreement with Chile; Lula in Brazil likewise is working. Peru is the last bastion where unfettered capitalist investment and Alan Garcia is doing all he can to prove to the U.S. that Peru will help them in anything at all. Just like the Wars for Independence, what is now known as Peru, centered in Lima, was the last place to free itself from Spain. So including Peru in the list doesn't mean a lot when the rest of the contintent that, under the impetus coming out of Venezuela, is either directly establishing economic trade that doesn't go through some non Latin American country, or working on collaborative relations of other kinds. You really need to get into the details a little more I think.

  Paul Dillon