Re: [xmca] NYTimes.com article: Seeing No Progress, Some Schools Drop Laptops

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sat May 05 2007 - 11:03:05 PDT

Yes, this was my personal reaction too. But note that michael (and Yrjo) are
sensitive to the other side of that coin. Development as intergenerational
nurturing and belief in adult responsibility.
Actually, the kids WERE being supported in their activities by adults who
believed the bs about
laptops as magic bullet means to (approved) enculturation, to the tune of
many millions of bucks from their taxes.

Note that Mark Warschauer contends no benefits in learning to read, write,
and numerate should be expected; enrichment (approved enrichment) is what
one should aim for. But all the while, the
breaking away, downloading pornography, etc potential is right there and
will not go away. Nor will the fact that google is storing this message in
its data base for marketing purposes, and perhaps to trade with the govt
when it suits their purposes.

I am watching a group I am connected with struggle to help kids who are
struggling in school using computers as media. Part of their struggling
involves creating selective firewalls while the kids cleverly find their
ways around the fire walls. Meantime the path to a job at macdonalds gets
more and more deeply in control of their futures. Or maybe they will find a
way out by signing up for the army and its bright future?

As I said when I posted this story (with help from Steve) its an article
that invites a lot of thought and discussion.
mike