Re: [xmca] What about a new kind of XMCA forum?

From: Kevin Rocap <Kevin.Rocap who-is-at liu.edu>
Date: Fri Apr 20 2007 - 11:27:38 PDT

Thanks David,

Great thoughts and historical insight ;-) I appreciate it!

Possibly building on your points...we actually debated a bit in
preparing for the CHAT course last time whether to organize by
Readings/Topics only or also to create "spaces" for small groups to
perhaps interact on their own and to weave in and out of "plenary"
threads ;-) I think this is one approach that might get at issues you
raise. The XMCA community being what it is though (accustomed to the
open, overlapping conversations of the e-mail listserv) reinforced a
feeling that everyone might want to simply be in the full conversation
;-) (and at that time that was interpreted as not having a small group
options per se, but as having full-participation common Reading/Topic
threads with various folks taking the lead, and basically more on a
voluntary basis or as a credit-requirement for some participants; but
your notion of being more intentional of ways to bring more voices into
a course-shaping/engaged role is a good one, imho).

Anyway, I certainly defer to Mike and others who might be taking a lead
on this, though, like you, also being willing to contribute design
ideas. In any event, it is useful, at least to me, to dialogue a bit
about learning by "knotworking" (as you call it, hopefully not too
strongly leaning toward the phonetic connotation, and more focused on
the "knots" of participation ;-)).

These ideas, of course, I find useful also for thinking about my own
online interaction designs (on non-CHAT topics/themes), so appreciate
your comments.

In Peace,
K.