Re: [xmca] Vygotsky vs. Derrida

From: Jay Lemke (jaylemke@umich.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2006 - 08:42:15 PDT

If I may join in on this theme, since much of my own research has
been on the role of language and also visual media in science and
science education (classically my own 1990 book _Talking Science_,
but much since then that you could find on my website), I think you
might find some useful perspectives on the nature of writing as a
sign system in its own right in _Signs of Writing_ by Roy Harris. I
think he's much better informed about non-alphabetic/syllabic writing.

Michael Halliday also has a short book, _Spoken and Written
Language_, that makes the case very clear for their differences,
while affirming their underlying grounding in a common grammar.
Halliday is an expert on Chinese, among many other matters
linguistic, and has also worked on language development. There is
other work on the developmental transition from spoken to written
registers, quite important for education, and the main point is that
somewhere around the 7th year of schooling, students need to make
this transition but are poorly prepared to do so, and poorly
supported by schools and teachers, because the nature of the
transition is still largely invisible to the educational world. In
simple terms, it's the acquisition of competence in academic
registers through processes like nominalizations and other sorts of
non-colloquial constructions and their special semantic uses.

As to Derrida, I think one has to read him as being deliberately
oblique. You cannot take what he writes literally. His style is
neither academic-scientific nor Anglo-Saxon philosophical, both of
which lead us to expect explicit and literal argumentation. Think of
his writing more like literary style. So what he says about writing
is really a point being made about semiotic systems in general, and
at the time he wrote Grammatology semiotics and its critique was at
the center of intellectual discussion (cf. Roland Barthes) in France.
He is playing with Saussurean conventions to tweak the structuralists
of his own day. It's almost a roman a clef. It's a very complicated context.

Phonocentrism itself is a fascinating issue. It's an aspect what is
formally studied these days as "linguistic ideology" (e.g. M.
Silverstein), and as we all know from GB Shaw, it's a very
social-class centered phenomenon in the history of modern English,
but not so different for French (centralism) or German and Italian
(nationalism). It's all about stamping out the dialects and elevating
a privileged standard. Somehow this evolved into Chomskyan doctrine
about "native speaker competence", which was really just a way to
avoid having to base his linguistics on empirical data and led him
into his bizarre neo-Cartesian views on innateness. It is this
ideology that is still with us, and that puts intuitive knowledge of
a language ahead of scientific knowledge (a rare reversal in
modernism and the academy!). It's interesting that in the US, the
radical advocates of Ebonics (African-American English) have argued
that linguists pay too little attention to sound and style and too
much to grammar in deciding what is a distinct language variety. This
is a neo-phonocentric argument that challenges recent syntax
imperialism, and is again about our linguistic ideology (i.e. our
cultural and value-based beliefs about how language is and ought to be).

A mid-western twang will not help you write a good postgraduate
essay, and if I heard a Korean-born student speaking with one, I'd
certainly be curious how he came by it, and why. As I'm sure you
know, the issue of non-native-English teachers of English in Asia is
a serious concern in many countries. I've recently had some online
discussions on this for Thailand. Sometimes you just have to politely
tell people that they are wrong and their ideas foolish. That should
be easier for others to tell us, the would-be imperial overlords of Anglo-USA.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor
University of Michigan