Re: [xmca] review article recommendation request

From: jmgdo@berkeley.edu
Date: Tue Oct 17 2006 - 09:42:11 PDT

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the recommended readings. I have been reading up on the CHAT
core – Vygotsky, Engestrom, Wertsch, etc. in an effort to think about
these theoretical issues. Specifically, I have been trying to
conceptualize these social processes that I mentioned – social
positioning, identity, power, status – as “social tools” that mediate our
mental life much like the physical and symbolic tools and signs that are
more often discussed, like language, the computer, interactions with one
another, external representations (number lines, area models, etc). My
concern (and reason for the original posting) is to not misrepresent or
overgeneralize what “counts” as a mediational symbol. Theoretically, its
clearer to me how words or number lines or particular ways of structuring
an activity mediates students’ thinking, but it is less clear how to
conceptualize how being constantly positioned as “expert” in the
classroom, or “the kid with the cooties”, or “the expert with cooties”
also mediates students’ thinking. My hunch (and my emerging research
interests) moves toward the idea that social positioning, identity, and
status in the classroom are also mediating devices and important ones to
consider.

But again, I position myself as extreme amateur and wonder how others
think of these issues. I will perhaps ask more directly – what counts as a
social tool?

thanks for the responses!!!
Jenny

P.S. You guys at XMCA aren't all that scary :) Ok, maybe a little.