Re: [xmca] Some thoughts on some issues in Hasan's papers

From: Jim Martin (jmartin@mail.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 15:27:38 PDT

All

Harry's note reminds me I meant to send a list of references to Ruqaiya
and her colleagues' work on semantic variation (maybe not complete but
Ruqaiya can fill in), partly to pick up a thread from years ago when we
were reviewing early responses to Bernstein and the critique that some
of his findings were based on interviewing people about what they would
say if... instead of actual languge in use.

Ruqaiya's project was based on semantic variation in what people do
say... and her results confirm in general the earlier Bernstein work,
and of course extend it (gender alongside social class for example).

Jim