Re: [xmca] Some thoughts on some issues in Hasan's papers

From: Ed Wall (ewall@umich.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 09:47:37 PDT

Hi Phil

   I can take no credit for the first bit you attribute to me as it is
quoted from Ruqaiya's introductory email. However, I was quite taken
by it and by what else was said. I do wonder a little about what it
means to say someone comes pre-disposed to learn decontextualised
language structure as 'decontextualized' seems, to an extent, a
matter of degree. However, there is no question that this can be
quite unhelpful. I wonder if education isn't, in a sense, (both
positive and negative) a series of contextualizations.

    As to the business about listening (a modest monomania of mine :-)
and, intentionally, having some to do with SFL with the recent help
of Eggins and others) and Gemma Corradi Fiumara: she is a Spanish
philosopher and has written a number of books that have been
translated - The Other Side of Language is one (it was out of print,
but I haven't checked lately); The Metaphoric Process is another. She
has some of the same interests as Julia Kristeva - eg.
psychoanalysis. Heidegger writes something similar in Being and Time
(not surprising as she has built on some of what he had to say)
although speaking about another aspect of discoursing:

Keeping silent authentically is possible only in genuine discoursing.
To be able to keep silent Dasien must have something to say-that is
it must have at its disposal an authentic and rich disclosedness of
itself

Ed