Re: Butterflies and life

From: Kevin Rocap (Kevin.Rocap@liu.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 09:33:51 PDT

Dear David,

Thank you for expanding the dialogue to a level of philosophic
reflection. I was thinking in a very narrow and situated way about
Rodriguez's vocal and well-publicized opposition to things like
bilingual education and affirmative action and what I know both from
research and lived experiences and work with language minority
communities to be problematic and harmful about that stance.

I'm not sure I'm ready to say that a standard should NEVER be "imposed".
;-) We always have guidance, norms, frameworks, policies, no? But I
guess my general rule of thumb about things like educational policies is
that we should err on the side of poilcies that open up rather than
foreclose possibilities.

Let me explain. Most bilingual education advocates would say that the
policy should be one that allows for a range of instructional approaches
for English language learners (including English-Only approaches if they
can be shown to be effective in specific application in specific
circumstances). While anti-bilingual English-Only folks tend to say
that bilingual approaches to teaching and learning should always be
banned - regardless of any research or practical evidence of their
efficacy. The policy is clearly designed to negate certain
instructional options, not to open up the possibilities, and largely on
political grounds that are at odds with sound instructional practices.

So I'm responding mostly to situation in which people are barred from
life or educational options from which they can benefit because of the
political predilections of "more powerful" others (e.g., people whose
decisions become codified as policies or laws).

In general though, I'd say I'm probably not a fan of the Kantian
categorical imperative. ;-) And so we'd likely be in agreement on that, no?

In Peace,
K.