Re: general, particular Holzkamp, Engeström

From: Steve Gabosch (bebop101@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Oct 14 2004 - 02:57:54 PDT

Hi Victor,
You raise many stimulating ideas as always. A point Michael Roth brought
up about how the activity triangle (personally I see it as a kind of
mneumonic) spans two domains, societal and individual, fits in with the
point you make below - how concepts from one domain can be troublesome in
another if mechanically applied. I really agree with you, developing an
underlying metatheory that can tie together our comprehensions of the major
domains - historical, societal, cultural, psychological, etc. - is a
long-term goal, and Marx, Vygotsky and Ilyenkov are key thinkers (among
others) that have helped lay such foundations. I think this goal is one of
the things that unites many of us on this list, but we have a lot of notes
to compare with a lot of people to get there!
~ Steve