RE: hello, anyone there?

From: White, Phillip (Phillip.White@cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 07:02:58 PDT

     hello, everyone - i found Judy's email posting fascinating, both for the lengthy reference to Bateson, who i admire, and for the continued silence in response to her posting. i went back to Bateson's "Steps to an ecology of mind" and refresh my memory about his take on communication. in the chapter on Double Bind, Bateson points out that messages carrry multiple meanings, and that while one of the meanings is found in the content of the message, another message is about the relationship between the communicators. it's my take that the message about the relationship in regards to the silence regarding Judy's posting is that she doesn't count. looking at the pattern of communication here on xmca, with a few exceptions, such as Mike who nearly always responds to each person, the pattern is a few guys talking to a few guys, and ignoring those who .... who what? i can only observe the silence, and the way the relationship is constructed - the whys i've not a clue about.

phillip