RE: Does no one read [between] Vygotsky's words?

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@UDel.Edu)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 17:15:52 PDT

Dear Victor-

I also think we are probably in agreement but let me clarify one important
(for me) thing.

You wrote,
> it's neither useful or even interesting to criticize the morality of
> those who have neither the intellectual integrity nor the self-respect to
> challenge or at least to abstain from participation in the excessive
> exercise of power to enforce public conformity.

When I lived in the Soviet Union, my friends and I (what can be loosely
called a "dissident circle") did not judge people who were forced to do bad
things but we did judge (and ostracized) those who used their "creativity"
in adding misery to others. I still think that it was a fair judgment.

What do you think?

Eugene

Kolbanovsky)
> > publicly tried to protect him and his name (after Vygotsky's death) and
> did
> > not turn away (against) him (unlike L&L).
> >
> > I do not know what I would do if I live then and there but I want to
> > recognize people like Vygotsky and Kolbanovsky. I admire them for their
> > bravery, civil responsibility, political-moral intelligence, and
honesty.
> > Sometimes I thought that Vygotsky was pretty stupid if not suicidal but
> not
> > attending to the political situation. Vygotsky made many political
> > "mistakes" (including his move from Moscow to Kharkov in the early 1930s
> > that was literally "clean up" by NKVD in 1937) that would be fatal in
the
> > coming Stalinist purges if he didn't die so early. Vygotsky was "stupid"
> if
> > the highest value of his life was his survival but probably it was
not...

> > What do you think?
> >
> > Eugene

San