Re: ZPD/Chaiklin and Vygotsky/Bakhtin

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@coe.uga.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 06:17:23 PST

Phil, I think your take on the zpd resonates with conceptions that have
come about through the work of Leont'ev, Cole, Rogoff, Moll, and many others.

I think your question: "Is this a potential appropriation of the ZPD that
steers too far from its original roles?" relates to a discussion we've had
here before: Was Vygotsky really a contextualist? When I read books like
Cultural Psychology (which I'm using in a course this semester), I adopt a
contextualist perspective on Vygotsky's core ideas. Yet when I go back and
read him, I don't see the contextual view as much. The zpd question is a
good example: If you go back and read what Vygotsky wrote, it's primarily a
teacher-learner relationship without all the attention to how both, and
their mediational cultural artifacts, are contextualized and conditioned
historically. I've always assumed that had Vygotsky lived longer, he'd
have gravitated in this direction (assuming that his relationship with
Leont'ev was one of reciprocal teaching and learning); but then, I've also
heard Jim Wertsch say that he's found no evidence in Vygotsky's writing to
suggest that he would have done so.

So, with respect to your question, I think that yes, it steers away from
the zpd's original conception, but then I would expect it to in today's
climate. Too far? That's hard to say, though I think it's well within the
bounds of what our current thinking allows as a Vygotskian interpretation.

Peter