Re: enculturation, ethnemes, pedagogy, research

From: Steve Gabosch (bebop101@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 03:06:40 PDT

Jay discusses issues of enculturation (cultural reproduction), empowerment,
radical critique and change ...

From Jay:
>We also need to engage students affectively in some
>rage for change (which is dangerous, but how could it not be if the aim is
>radical change?), and we need to model HOW the tools can be used for
>relevant critique ...

Jay's thoughts call to mind an important point in the Gutierrez/Rogoff
article in the Carol Lee series regarding repertoires and dexterity, which
may also be a couple of useful terms in response to Juanita's question
about best terminologies:

"Individuals’ background experiences, together with their interests, may
prepare them for knowing how to engage in particular forms of language and
literacy activities, play their part in testing formats, resolve
interpersonal problems according to specific community-organized
approaches, and so forth. An important feature of focusing on repertoires
is encouraging people to develop dexterity in determining which approach
from their repertoire is appropriate under which circumstances (Rogoff,
2003)." (pg 22)

Jay is pressing for expanding - in Gutierrez and Rogoff's terminology,
students' repertoires and dexterity - a proposal I certainly resonate with.

- Steve