Re: Thinking in a foreign language

From: Vera John-Steiner (vygotsky@unm.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2003 - 17:27:31 PDT

    Hi,
   I have spent many years struggling with this question of what is the
language you think in if you are multilingual?. I think that Vygotsky's
notion of inner speech is helpful here (and see my postword in The Road to
Competence in an Alien Land in Wertsch's (ed) Culture, Cognition and
Communication where I describe how the interpreter at the conference used a
form of inner speech shorthand which captures meanings. In the paper I
identify two very different processes--a unified semantic system across
languages which emerges slowly over time and a differentiated production
system specific to each language.) In brief, I do not think we think in a
foreign language quite the way in which that phrase suggests. We think in
meanings, including images. we draw upon these meanings and realize them in
a specific language with its particular syntax and phonology in a particular
context. Students who have little opportunity to realize their meaning in
conversation with native speakers continue to lean on their first language
for a very long time--and thus they produce many interference errors.How to
help them? Expose them to films, tv, find native speakers who want to learn
their language, enact short scripts; diversify as much as possible the
teaching/learning situation. (See also Holbrook Mahn's work on dialogue
journals with the isntructor.)
Perhaps we shoulkd plan a special issue of MCA on this topic, it is of very
broad concern,
Vera John -Steiner