Re: for what it's worth.....

From: Jay Lemke (jaylemke@umich.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 08:25:45 PST

Ah, Politics! ... no surprise this appears in the Wash Times, created for
the Right to offset the "liberal" Wash Post ... and you can just see where
this story will go in the mainstream infotainment media (which includes
pretty much all mass media in the US today): "After School Programs Are
Centers for Drugs, Crime" ...

"Black and Hispanic students in after-school programs showed increased
effort in the classroom, reduced lateness for school, and increased math
grades. None of those impacts was evident for white students."

Now who is going to see this as a reason to SUPPORT such programs? And what
are we to conclude from all this mish-mash of "results"? ... that it's the
white students are doing the drugs and committing the violence while the
African-American and Latino/a students are trying to study math? ... that
smoking dope and learning to avoid bullies improves math scores?

Does this kind of research have any other USE than a political one? And I
don't mean this study, I mean this paradigm of "evaluation".

Likely policy conclusions:

De-fund after school centers. Limit them to drilling math skills. Don't let
"discipline problem" students attend.

Unlikely policy conclusions:

Spend more to improve safety. Upgrade instruction in language arts.
Segregate classes by gender. Fire some administrators.

Least likely:

Do some SERIOUS research to find out what is really being done right and
wrong in many of these centers. Compare the most and least successful
centers' arrangements, ethos, and student populations. Check some
commonsense hypotheses: schools are dumping problem students in these
programs; there are no attractive after-school programs for more
academically successful students to mix with those not doing as well,
resulting in a skewed unbalanced after-school population that increases
risks for student safety; programs have low expectations for academic
progress and just repeat the same methods and materials that have already
failed with most of these students ... etc.

Conservatives believe that desire is the enemy of truth ... and that is
nowhere more true than in the political uses of research.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor
University of Michigan