What to do about the Scribner Award process?

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@attbi.com)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 05:32:10 PST

Jay has begun one course of action -- to communicate directly to the chair of
the Scribner Award. Her desire, the greater democratization of the process,
hardly guarantees solution to the problem Mike, King, David, Pedro, and Steve
have raised, which is an award in the spirit of Scribner's work, with,
possibly, candidates who work with a sociocultural perspective. The present
chair does not favor such a narrowing, nor does it seem congruent with an
AERA division lifetime award.

The solution would seem to lay in the direction of a letter of protest to
bring the award to CHSIG. There are at least two consequences to this,
however. First, the award will no longer carry the prestige of a full
division award, which in one way does honor the value of Scribner's work.
Second, Mike points out some of the stakeholders -- past recipients who are
members of the community of the Scribner award system -- who may object to
the status of their awards being degraded from a division to a SIG level. We
face a bind here.

At the very least, a letter to AERA can express the concern and share the
trouble.

bb