Re: Authentic dialogue in inauthentic context

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Wed Dec 25 2002 - 03:17:57 PST

At 16:12 21/11/02 -0500, you wrote:
>You might want to check out my article in the Journal of Educational and
>Child Psychology (2000, Vol 17, 3) entitled Performative Psychology: An
>Untapped Resource for Educators." Among the projects discussed is one of an
>ESL high school class.
>Lois
Lois,
A very belated thanks for the reference to your article, which I read
today. I found the relationship between what you describe as "being and
becoming" in the zpd and learning a second/foreign language in the
classroom a very powerful one, and a concept that cuts right through the
"authenticity in the classroom" debate. The vignette of unruly Ivan
replaying his activity with the rest of the class is a nice reminder that
the classroom is steeped in cultural-historical dramas that are real
opportunities for natural language performances. The makings of
transforming language education.

You've provided me with a new lens through which to view my research...thanks!

Phil