[Diane's head explodes]

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 10:23:09 PDT

well it serves me right eh? :D

Helena -
Reading what you wrote about, erm, what you wrote, well, brings to light a
few valuable issues:

1 - sometimes i say things, hoooo boy! do I ever.

2 - seems to me your writing does make a difference that is relative to
your situation: so it doesn't effect
material change in the project you describe, but the project you describe
IS making a material difference.
So what you produce is, well, 'good news' for those who are interested in
making a material difference,
... and let's face it, I read it and I'm someone who wants good news, who
wants to know that the academic
life is engaged with the material matters of life and livelihoods, so it
helps me. It helps other writers, students
of Labour Studies, and so on. We need not think we have to help everyone,
of course, and it seems to me
that writing it helps different people. So, that matters.

3 - there are, indeed, as Mike points out, other ways of making a
difference that don't involve 'throwing' money
at the problem.

4. As a writer, I have to believe that writing matters and I do. And it
does.

[runs off to write!]

cheers
diane

'Lord Ronald said nothing; he flung himself from the room, flung himself
upon his horse and rode madly off in all directions.'
Stephen Leacock,
"Gertrude the Governess, or Simple Seventeen."

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, pointe claire, qc, H9R 3Z2