helping and reading

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 08:56:39 PDT

Helena-- I searched for Roskilde U Press and while I could come up with the
University and individual's telling about what they had published there, I
could not find the url for the press. Could you post it?

Diane --

Apropos of your note about helping, it was always puzzled me that theories of
moral development think that one can improve upon going unto others as you whould
have others do unto you.

But possible to add to the thread of thought, I recommend that people check out
Sheila Cole's article at the end of the report about the Velham project that is
somewhere in the archival part of the LCHC web page. In 1983 when we returned
together to Moscow after a long absence, Sheila, who was a journalist in prior
years, wrote about a group of people, most of them involved in white collar/
scientific professions, who spent their time in family clubs. These clubs had,
as their major activity, engaging in projects for people who were in need to
help and really had no way to get it. One such project involved the school
for the blind-deaf in Zagorsk, not too far outside of Moscow. While many of
us know of the work of Meshcheryakov (in part because of Karl Levitin's writinngg)
and in part through the article by Alexander Suvorov in an issue of "Soviet
Psychology many years ago) by the 1980's those who sought full integration
of the blind deaf into society were considered kooky, and the school was very
poorly supported. So the family club, big and little kids in tow, organized
weekend outings to help refurbish the building and grounds and provide whatever
help they could. When asked why they did it, they expressed the view that life
as ordinarily led was stultifying, and that by living through raising their
kids to take care of others, they themselves were helped to lead more
satisfying lives.

There is more to helping than money. There is reflexive self development and
satisfaction.

mike

(PS-- Of course, all the above can be inverted/perverted, after all, time is
money and carying is narcisim, right?)