Re: Identity strand with Dorothy Holland

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@attbi.com)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 13:16:58 PDT

On a personal note, i too would find DH interesting as a speaker.

I've been drawn, kicking and screaming, into recognizing identity formation,
as inclusion of these developmental processes into theoretical description of
Activity seems to solve some problems/ fill some gaps.
"Kicking and screaming", because the move to thinking of Activity was the
logical way to treat the facets of learning/teaching i had been observing
that transcended the individual as the sole unit of analysis. Thinking of
individual identity just seemed to be going backward. But hey, a problem is
something to be solved, and one never knows what path the solution will take.

Perhaps because of these considerations, i picked up the biography of John
Nash (he told me to when we were together solving encrypted messages in the
NY Times). Kidding aside, I'm not the type that has been drawn into
reading bios, but here the author does a decent job at looking at
supra-individual elements of Nash's identity, through the early years of
formation, and then through its perturbation by schizophrenia - although the
latter could be more richly developed, it would seem. And Bateson is never
mentioned in the bio among those who have ideas about schizophrenia.

So here is DH, who has already traversed this ground. Love to hear what she
has to say.

bb