RE: Sudden, immediate, confessorial, self-understanding as perhap s others might understand me - entering xmca history as agent

From: Cunningham, Donald (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 06:22:52 PST

Yes, me too. I am so thoroughly confused some quiet time with my head in my
hands is called for. For some it appears that something is historical if it
is taken as such (deemed historical by someone). For others anything that
has existed for a measurable time has a history (whether or not we have
discovered it). Phylogeny is included but not ontology. Memory is history.
The Law of Falling Bodies is history. A causal chain (replicable or not)
MIGHT be history if it has an effect or is noticed.

I once heard a historian describe history as stories about historically
interesting objects. There are infinite objects but historians operate by
distinguishing some of them that they find interesting. But isn't that what
we all do?

Maybe Lily Tomlin was right: Reality in nothing but a collective hunch.

TTFN..........djc