Re: Where is Denis?, or I can and can't agree with just sitting there.

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 21:54:18 PDT

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>What I'd like to offer is a view of meditation from activity theory --
>whether
>sitting in meditation, and focussing on breathing -- or walking in
>meditation,
>and focussing on the rhythm of putting one foot in front of the other --
>it is
>the rhythm, deliberately doing something at the level of operations, that
>frees
>the mind at the level of action. Concentration on what is normally
>routine
>moves the routine to the level of action, makes the day-to-day and the
>moment
>by moment adjustable, and to some degree, controllable. The degree of
>control
>is a matter of not trying, the more one tries, the less control one has.
>The
>beautiful contradiction is that letting go puts it in your hand. At the
>bottom
>of this slippery slope is balance. This lesson can transfer to other
>actions.
>But a lot of the time it does not.

in the words of judith diamondstone, "HUZZAH!" - :)

really, awareness-indeed consciousness- is as much an activity as anything
- existence is an activity, and i think you are right in pointing out how
difficult it is for folks to consider the ways that "attention"
constitutes a particular activity - i reckon AT is about ways to pursue
the tradition of psychology, though, you know, make inferences about the
mind by observing external behaviours, and all that.

i suppose my confusion with AT has always been around the assumptions of
'activity' and the embedded history of behaviour with 'inferences about
the mind' - and that whole thang..
...well, plus all that political and ideological stuff.

ha ha

diane

"Waves of hands, hesitations at street corners, someone dropping a
cigarette in a gutter - all are stories. But which is the true story? That
I do not know. Hence I keep my phrases hung like clothes in a cupboard,
waiting for someone to wear them. Thus waiting, thus speculating, making
this note and then another, I do not cling to life."
Virginia Woolf, The Waves, 1931.

     (...life clings to me...)
diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2