a possible history of tipping

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 21:11:14 PDT

ok, i haven't done a lit review, this was just off the top of my head,
thinking about tipping, service, gender, and
Gayle Rubin's landmark article on the "traffic of women" in the early
1980s -

and i thought, here are places where no salary is offered, but instead a
percentage of tips are provided to the owner in exchange for the
opportunity to work for tips - strip clubs, prostitution, in particular.
and then i thought, jiminy, the sex trade is the oldest trade, ...
maybe the history of tipping starts here..?

just a thought on towards historical practice, European, and all -
certainly slave trades and sex trades are related with colonialism -
those relations of women and designated slaves are universal...
hmmmmmmmmmm
diane

"I want you to put the crayon back in my brain."
Homer Simpson

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2