Re: Eating in restaurants

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 21:00:17 PDT

djc asks
>2. WHY do we eat out the way we do? An anthropologist from another planet
>would, I think, have a very difficult time trying to understand the point
>of
>the behaviors Rose describes. If consumption of enough food to sustain
>oneself is the point, then surely there are more efficient ways to go
>about
>this. Seems like Rose (and Phillip) might want to interview some customers
>as well.

anthropologically speaking, eating together has always signalled a kind of
ritual or celebration,
that urban folks do it wih strangers and intimate friends or lovers
doesn't,
 i don' t think, remove the value of ritualized eating. rural diners are
as much a social gathering place as they are a convenient eating place.
diane

"I want you to put the crayon back in my brain."
Homer Simpson

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2