Re: chapter 5

From: Katherine Brown (kathyebrown@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 08:30:42 PDT

Hi Judith and xmca readers.
Many thanks to Judy for doing the hard part--the synopsis of the chapter, and I
am chiming in a bit late, folks, forgive me.
The notable things to me about chapter 5 are the ideas of arriving at a point in
analysis where participants have a provided language for working out a springboard
for transformation, and the relationship between an individual's personal
experience
and reflection that may start constructing a springboard, and how this related to
the overall transformation involving others in the system. My question is about
how one gets from the experience of the individual as he/she looks at the system
in a new way,
or begins to experience/participate in a new way(the personal experience of
revelation) and how this relates to what happens to the rest of the members of a
community. How is this experience communicated? The image of the springboard
is, in a way, an individual who walks out onto it, bounces and goes up. Does this
happen necessarily for people in a system "one at a time"? Couldn't one "bounce
out" of the activity in such a time of revelation as easily as being positioned to
"spring forward" into the next phase?
I will have more to say and to ask later today--I just wanted to begin with this
key image
and see what we can do with this metaphor.
Katherine Brown