Re: chapter 5

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 20:30:00 PDT

Katherine, diane, as I understood it, the hard part of developmental
research is the first part -- creating the conditions under which
participants in an activity are motivated in some major way to radically
change the way they do things. That would require familiarity w/ and trust
of the external researcher whose actions bring to the surface the Big
Contradiction that explains the prevailing cycles of activity & the
different tensions/problems that everyone sees; and yes, diane, the
duration of the project and number of analyses performed and shared seem
central to this stage-setting.

My questions concern the stage-setting steps of the process, but I agree
the springboard metaphor has potential as the moment where
individual/collective terms seem least to be in concert and most in need to
be concerted.

But IF the stage were effectively set, then springing towards a better
understanding rather than out of the playing field seems probable.

As for the meta-discourse, even if the language is introduced by the
researchers who are outsiders, language that helps one to see is generally
seen by users as valuable.... Once the stage is set, practicability quickly
becomes the secondary condition under which the system moves forward in the
new ways.... Just a thought.