Re: late lbe2

From: Martin Owen (mowen@rem.bangor.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 03:22:03 PDT

Billwrites:
>I am considering individual/institutional co-development using lbe,
>because this reflects the political climate of the times in the U.S. We
>have individualized assessments that range from high stakes tests of
>students and teachers, to grades, to portfolios. And yet we are also
>faced with making systemic changes in institutions, because many people
>have realized that this may be the only way to reach mandated goals on
>individual learning. Yet with LBE as a theoretical lens, one can see
>these things put into a cultural and historical perspective. Context
>and systemic change becomes more than a buzz word.
>
>Perhaps one of the best ways to get insight into how much explanatory
>power LBE provides is to begin making alterations to the categories in
>the triangular model. So far, my efforts have mostly resulted in greater
>respect for the original work.

>One of the most useful insights afforded by lbe is the collective and
>systemic nature of expansive activity -- exactly that faced by an
>investigator who wishes to make contributions to a field, i.e. education,
>that is not characterized by short term returns (of the kind needed for
>tenure for example) but which aims for the deeper transformations made
>possible by long term joint efforts. I conclude from this aspect of the
>theory, and from the many insights made possible to me by xmca'ers too
>numerous to mention, that this particular forum is worth spending one's
>time -- with a significant return on the investment.

We have applied LBE and CHAT triangles to analysis of instituional change
and the adoption of virtual learning environments in higher education in
Europe. (TSER project IVETTE: http://www.doe.d5.ub.es/etic/IVETTE/)

As Bill suggests LBE and CHAT prvide a remarkably useful theoretical lens
to observe changes in instituions.In particular the ways in which the
division of labour in HE (which is changing to favour adminsitration: who
seem to be the only group with anything like tenure) makes change and
learning in the change of teaching methods very difficult to achieve. The
division of labour for effective implementation of new learning
technologies is antipathetic to earlier (more individualistic)
organisational forms within universities, which in turn influenced the
formation of rules and value systems with the university community. The
strategy for managing change is to put it in a cabinet marked "pilot
activity". This allows for different structures to be accommodated or (at
best) incubated. However it never really causes the contradictions which
make the change in the prevailing rule and value systems.

>Gotta run, other exchanges to tend to. Yeah, in terms of priorities, I
>got my herb garden in (the snow has finally melted as we made the
>discontinuous change from winter to summer). Bunny continues to do
>strange digging, and rolling about, when fresh sod is put in her pen.

It is Spring in Wales too. However it is quite odd. In the corner of my
island (Angelsey) we have slaughtered 47,000 sheep in the 25sq miles/60 sq
Kms infected by Foot and Mouth disease. A strange Spring when you are not
allowed to walk on farm fields or see young lambs in so many fields
(actually there are plenty elsewhere on the island). There are so many
interesting contradictions raised by this outbreak of what (medically) is
not a very serious condition, that it should turn into a major national
crisis.

Di
>ane writes:
>that is it IMPOSSIBLE to be different and participate in an institution -
>referring to the real people i've known, and myself, who dallies like an
>idiot at the bridge 'cross that moat, and all -
>how do you see these as reconcilable?
>
>can a person actually assert their difference and still participate within
>an institution, given the legacy and systematicity of institutional
>traditions? goes gender/race/class/sex play a role politically?

Diane, this is really pessimistic. Where there are contradictions there is
always the potential of change. The world and its institutions are
different today when you compare with yesterday. Not all changes are
good... however not all the changes are bad. Individuals had their
collective part to pay in showing up the contradicitions and taking the
radical actions. When times are bad, I think of Nelson Mandela.

MartinO