Re: LBE: chapter 2

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 19:44:44 PDT

Peter,

thanks for the notes on ch2 - i've highlighted this section (below) as
perhaps one of the more significant aspects of this chapter - i mean, i'd
ever-so much appreciate
reading others' thoughts on the notion of how cultural-historical is being
developed in
this context of activity theory, as you indicate:

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
> this leads to a triangluar diagram (figure 2.6) summarising his
>conception of the distinctive nature and structure of human activity.
>having
>criticised leont'ev for failing to bring the instrumental and the
>communicative
>together, it is not immediately obvious to me how YE intends to achieve
>that
>synthesis here. under the diagram YE mentions 'the three dominant aspects
>of
>human activity - production, distribution and exchange (or
>communication)' - so
>communication = exchange (of goods?)? however, his use and development of
>marx's dialectical conception of the whole system of production in the
>analysis
>of each and every activity in society is very powerful, as is the section
>which
>follows on the inner contradictions of human activity. this is a very
>important
>discussion and a very important contribution to the development of
>cultural-historical and activity theory, it seems to me, although i feel
>i need
>to think about it more carefully and thoroughly.

not to be an ingratiating swish or anything, but i rather enjoyed reading
yr notes. thanks again -
diane

"The world is too much with us,
late and soon..."