Re(2): Individual activity?

From: Victor Kaptelinin (vklinin@informatik.umu.se)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 04:04:23 PDT

Thank you, Diane, for your message! I think we both (as well as most of the
people on the list) agree that all activities (as well as actions and
operations) are always social. What I fail to see is how it leads to the
conclusion that activities are collective and actions are individual. On
the one hand, actions (and even operations) can also be collective. On the
other hand, claiming that individuals can only participate with their
actions in collective activities basically means that individuals have no
genuine motives. Perhaps, I am so resistant to this claim because it sounds
familiar to me and reminds about the "good old" days of living in the USSR
:)

Of course, one can just define activities as something, which "is not
specifically concerned with the individual but with the larger social and
cultural (historical) context" and actions as individual. In this case it
is important to keep in mind that this understanding of activities and
actions is fundamentally different from other understandings existing
within the cultural-historical tradition, for instance the one by Leontiev
(which, of course, does not automatically make new understanding worse or
better...).

Best wishes,
Victor