Re: Different motives

From: Nate Schmolze (vygotsky@home.com)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2001 - 17:10:34 PST

I agree. I have actually been running into Holzkamp a lot lately in my
reading. I really liked the quote about mutual determination you had in
your paper.

Your paper also gave me some stuff to think about. Keeping the class as a
whole made a lot of sense to me, at least the students reasoning behind it,
but it also brings forth interesting questions. This was an inner city
school, if I understand correctly, so the question that immediately came up
for me was if it was more integrated how would it of played out. The
teachers view (at least initially) seems rather typical of middle class
ideology IMHO.

I am sorry I can't resist - so the Spencer Foundation was O.K. with no
generalizability and all. Seriously though I think this kind of research is
important and frankly its more interesting to read than the
generalizability stuff.

If Holzkamp is in accessible form somewhere I would be interested. I find
much of the European stuff is not very accessible in the states.

Nate