Re: Different motives

From: Andy Blunden (andy@mira.net)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2001 - 18:04:22 PST

Nate, I don't know of a specific CHAT meaning for the word "motive", but it
seems to me that in the wider context "motive" does refer to the subjective
content of the meaning of a person's activity. This is of course quite
distinct from the cultural or societal meaning of an activity and says
nothing about the cultural process of formation of motive. I guess the
word "motive" is etymologically connected to "motor" - what 'moves' someone?

Andy

At 06:09 AM 3/02/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>I may be missing something - but is not "motive" in the context of AT
>referring to the collective rather than the individual per se. If we got
>the hunt or whatever it seems it is not this individual object or motive
>but a collective one.
>
>Would not the farmers activity system be more than just what he does? There
>are consumers who want reasonable prices for milk, children who need to be
>fed at school, laws passed at both the state and local level etc. I guess
>what I'm wondering is this - if I as a farmer do it for the money or to
>carry on tradition does that really get at the motive - is not motive
>something collectives do.
>
>Another thought that keeps coming up for me in regards to AT and its
>history is how much the U.S. may differ in fundamental ways from the
>societies it was most fruitfully (keep up with the farmers theme) developed.
>
>In reading the discussion thus far, which I've enjoyed very much, I have
>come to think of schools which are very much an historical type of activity
>that is rather complex. The motive for me would speak of activity as in why
>do they exist not personal goals. Schools or the 5th D exists for certain
>reasons and not for others. Creating an activity system that could be
>sustainable in which a dialectic of play/school activity could emerge (my
>subjective interpretation). Now I very much doubt that the 5th D kids goals
>are making it sustainable or furthering the dialectic of play/school
>activity, but isn't that where goals come in - at the level of actions.
>
>It seems to me if we begin confusing one AT category for another it loses
>something, or maybe I'm missing something. With a division of labor -
>especially the kind in liberal-capitalist societies it seems a certain
>disconnectedness occurs which AT ethically challenges. If its the farmer or
>this idea that the teacher is an isolated microcosm is schools - there is
>this tendency to see them as separate disjointed systems, but it seems to
>me some version of totality (maybe different from Paul's) is needed in
>order to understand the connections.
>
>Lastly, it seems analysis of AT that is the most useful are ones when
>concrete human relations are central. So while I would agree with Davydov,
>Elkonin, Vygotsky that schools are motivated by learning activity that does
>not mean it is not an area of contestation. While schools as an
>historical entity are motivated by a certain type of activity there is
>movement on what form that takes. For example, <irony>there are those who
>believe that awful progressive experiment - whole language, new math etc -
>contradicted with schools being places that learning take
>place</irony>. But on the other hand, in the current environment with
>testing it seems to me schools are becoming places for testing activity
>rather than learning activity. School boards and PTO's energy are being
> [...]
| - Andy Blunden - Home Page - http://home.mira.net/~andy/index.htm - |
| "Spirit, so far as it is the immediate truth, is the ethical life of |
| a people: - the individual, which is a world. Phenomenology, Hegel |
  Spirit, Money & Modernity, Melbourne Uni Summer School 23/24 Feb '01
  Reading material at http://home.mira.net/~andy/seminars/23feb00.htm