Re: Different motives

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 09:37:34 PST

Andy, Judy, Bill, et al;

I started this message early this morning, then filed it as more verbiage
but as I've followed the discussion throughout the morning, I've decided
that's there something worthwhile contributing here. Especially insofar as
Judy repeats the common perception that "Marxism achieves objectivity by
reducing sociocultural phenomena to economic relations, so that we end up
with claims like, "there is no such thing as culture." " Although it is
true that some laboring under the banner of Marxism have sustained this
point of view, this is an oversimplification, and really ignores about 80
years of Marxist theory initiated with Lukacs and certainly central to
soviet philosophy as in Ilyenkov and Mikhailov. When I, personally, reject
the term "culture" it's not to propose that all social phenomena can be
reduced to economic relations -- even presupposing that one could isolate
the economic out from the entire web. Rather the issue concerns relations
of production and their ontological primacy for understanding
social-historical phenomena. Production is prima facie a social-historical
phenomena.