Re(2): Re(2): Different motives

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 10:10:25 PST

bill writes
>The approach I wish to take, is to make creative and productive
>transformations to the existing framework to account for those
>interactions
>and processes that are presently under my study, and that build upon the
>successes of the past activity systems theory, in particular Yrjo's and
>Alfred's contributions. That just doesn't happen in a few xmca postings.
>My use of "We" in the previous posting indexed those individuals who share
>to a greater or lesser degree in this common goal.

oh bill, i have no doubts about the integrity of your efforts, or of any
of the theorists and researchers here - but you know me, i'm such a
stickler about languages - ;)

i was asking about the self-replicating assumptions that are embedded in
AT,
such as the ways the researcher/theorist's own academic activity
identifies the activities of the research more than the activity...

- for example you write about the ability to 'account' for interactions
and processes that are 'presently under' your study - _under_ your
study, not _in_ ...? how is your study implicated in the accounting of
interactions and processes, ? but really,
no need to reply, i certainly do know what you mean.
how these are scripted reveal much about what cannot yet be accounted for
in AT. that's all i was getting at.
i was speaking more to the functions of the discourse than the speakers.
as always, of course, for naught. i understand your "we" - i think we all
know what we mean more often than not. or nowt.

diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu