Re: RE: leont'ev: externalization/internalization etc

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 05:37:09 PST

Andy asks
>Is personality shaped by biochemistry or social environment? is a person
>the active builder of their personality or are they simply accommodating
>themselves to social conditions? or are people born with roles to play or
>shaped by family relationships? Which theory of psychology is objectively
>true?

why must one theory be true? isn't it possible that all these theories
offer points of interaction in understanding human activity? that
biochemistry and social environments interact?
that actively building personality is an interaction with "fitting in" to
an environment, while reformulating the self in ways that are both
personal and social?
isn't is possible that dispositions are interactive with social
expectations, and biological processes, as well as experience, memory,
language, and so on?

>. When we go to the shop we all
>invariably offer the shop assistant a reward to give us what we want. That
>is, we all play at being a Behaviourist when we need to

Radical behaviourism would say that to change a person's psyche, to change
the way a person thinks about themselves inrelation to their activity
requires that you change the activity
and force folks to deal with that - not coercive force, but the no-option
here kind of force,
change the external contexts of engagement, and people will find ways to
interact with that
activity, - and rewrite their own ways of understanding how they interact,
as individuals and as social beings, -

without some sort of coherent language of the CH in CHAT, i don't
understand how
AT can work outside of radical behaviourism.
that is, to me, the cultural-historical accounts for the
body/biology/semiotic/social history of people, and AT accounts for the
observable engagements.

perhaps i've misread something?
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu