RE: leont'ev: externalization/internalization etc

From: Andy Blunden (andy@mira.net)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 03:09:44 PST

Is personality shaped by biochemistry or social environment? is a person
the active builder of their personality or are they simply accommodating
themselves to social conditions? or are people born with roles to play or
shaped by family relationships? Which theory of psychology is objectively
true?

The truth of your theory of the psychology is the truth of the activity
which is rationalises.

The biochemical theory of personality supports the activity of psych.
hospitals (for example) who have to deal with desparate strangers who
present with life-destroying psychoses and demand an instant fix for their
illness.

The behaviourist theory rationalises the activity of managers, bureaucrats
and capitalists who devote their energies to getting people to comply with
their wishes or at least behave in some desired way, and who rate the
consciousness (soul) of those they seek to control as a cipher.

I am not a psychologist let alone a historian or meta-psychologist. There
are almost as many theories of psychology as there are psychologists, so I
can't justify the thesis concretely, but surely it has to work like that?

We, who are interested in AT and the work of the Vygotsky School, are
interetsed in it (I think) because it is a theory which allows us to
reflect on and understand the kind of activity we are struggling for -
changing social and cultural conditions through critical engagement with
other people (as equals), changing people's psyche while seeing other
people to be as fully human as ourselves (not soulless objects), knowing
the answer is not something to be propagated or even to be discovered but
something to be *created* by the people whose lives need to change, and so
on and so on.

Personally, I need the reminder about "objective truth" to avoid slipping
into self-justificatory dialogue which makes it hard to understand how
people hold to such different theories with equal insistence. Understanding
CHAT is, to me, getting better at a particular kind of activity (changing
people, changing yourself, changing the world) - but from time to time we
all have to do different kinds of activity. When we go to the shop we all
invariably offer the shop assistant a reward to give us what we want. That
is, we all play at being a Behaviourist when we need to.

Andy

At 06:06 PM 1/11/2000 -0500, you wrote:
> [...]
>
>I regret that I haven't had time to read the Leont'ev text, though I've
>save it for future reference/reading. In response to Helena's post: I must
>wonder how radically we can attribute personality exclusively to social
>activity. I speak as someone who knows people with chemical imbalances
>whose personalities have changed dramatically through medical interventions
>(e.g., Risperdal for psychotic episodes; Paxil and related medications for
>high anxiety/depression; etc.). One could argue that these medications are
>socially produced and that taking them is part of practical activity, and
>that's true. But what of people who don't have access to the medications
>and therapy and so have personalities that are shaped by their chemical
>makeup? I also think of a couple of young kids I know who are autistic and
>who have very limited social interaction. Surely their biochemistry has a
>lot to do with their personalities.
>
>Peter
>At 11:44 PM 10/31/00 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>This is starting to get interesting. I think Leont'ev is actually trying
>>to get to a place where he can describe therapy -- psychology not just as
>>the system that studies consciousness, but a way to change or help people.
>>
>>Here's what I see in Chapter 5 (the first part): The problem of
>>personality: what is it? Why do we seem to agree that we can recognize and
>>describe "personality"? Here the question of internal/external becomes
>>primary. We have explained that we must think of a person in the world as
>>engaging with it through activity, shaping it and himself through
>>activity. So we will not slip into the fallacy of the current two-factor
>>explanation -- heredity vs envornment, arguing which has the greater
>>influence. Instead (page 6) we say that the personality of a man is in no
>>sense pre-existing in relation to his activity; just as with his
>>consciousness, activity gives rise to personality. The personality is
>>produced by the social relationship man enters into through activity.
>>However, it is possible to have one activity mask another, in the sense
>>that the apparent motive for the masking activity is actually the
>>displacement of a motive for the masked activity. And so we move to a
>>discussion of motives....
>>
>>OK?
>>
>>Helena
>
>At 05:18 PM 11/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
>>I thought I saw a message from Peter S. on Leont'ev . Was I dreaming? If
>>that's the message Nate was responding to below, can someone repost it? I
>>can't find it on the website either.
>>thanks,
>>judy
>>
>>At 09:56 AM 11/1/00 -0600, you wrote:
>> >Peter,
>> >
>> >Thanks so much I found this really useful. It really summed up for me
what I
>> >have gotten from the readings and discussion - as well as my understanding
>> >of what Leont'ev, Vygotsky, Luria et al were trying to say.

CONCRETE
>> >INDIVIDUALS that takes place either in conditions of open association, in
>> >the
>> >midst of people, or eye to eye with the surrounding object world - before
>> >the
>> >potter's wheel or behind the writing desk'. He goes on in the same section
>> >criticise a view which is 'limited by the concept "socialization" of the
>> >psyche
>> >of the individual' although this implies that he sees the concept of
>> >"socialization" of the psyche as valid within certain liimits. his
>> >discussion
>> >of 'internal' and 'external' is very nuanced - and in section 3.4 he
accepts
>> >some kind of interaction or dialectic of internal and external - 'the
>> >existence
>> >of regularly occurring transitions in the opposite direction also, from
>> >internal to external activity' although he general insists on the
primacy of
>> >internalization as the process of formation of the individual "psyche".
but
>> >there are problems with this. it seems to me (partly because of the
>> >exclusive
>> >focus - at least in detailed analysis - on individual activity) that the
>> >categories of 'internal' and 'ideal' (theoretical etc) activity are
>> >conflated
>> >(and perhaps this is the force of yrjo's early comment on the whole book.
>> >but
>> >the two distinctions do not match up: remember marx on the architect
and the
>> >bee! the architect does his/her planning on paper on the drawing board -
>> >this
>> >is completely external! the 'plan' is the thing, the sensuous
>> >(super-sensuous,
>> >ie ideal) object in front of him/her being altered in advance of the real
>> >thing. of course there is activity going on 'inside the head' of the
>> >architect
>> >too (ie internally) which is of course, part of the planning process; but
>> >this
>> >'internal' activity in the head is part of any activity! if activity is
>> >truly
>> >conscious and purposeful (ie it has an object, motive in leont'ev's sense)
>> >then
>> >how can 'external activity' not be/include (at the same time) 'internal
>> >activity' in leont'ev's sense?? so that his distinction between
>> >external/internal breaks down. theoretical (or in general ideal)
activity is
>> >just as 'external' as any other activity, as witness this discussion we're
>> >having about the meaning of his book! paul's point about the
pre-eminence of
>> >production over consumption is a good, one, i think but it does not really
>> >make
>> >the point that he wants to make. production is purposeful activity - it
>> >runs
>> >its course (cf marx on the labour process) according to a purpose which
>> >(ideally) precedes (and guides) the actual transformation of object into
>> >product. so in leont'ev's (inadequate?) terms production is
>> >'externalization'
>> >of the 'internal'!! yours in some confusion!
>> >PS: why do my messages come out in a weird format? should i be pressing
some
>> >button??

| - Andy Blunden - Home Page - http://home.mira.net/~andy/index.htm - |
| All mysteries which lead theory to mysticism find their rational |
| solution in human practice and in the comprehension of this practice.|