Re(2): Re(2): marx & hegel

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 14:17:03 PDT

Andy writes:
>Diane,
>For example, one of a number of definitions of dialectics given by Engels
>in "Anti-Duhring" is: "Dialectics, however, is nothing more than the
>science of the general laws of motion and development of nature, human
>society and thought."

thanks Andy - i've noticed in your website that you are, well, rather the
Hegelian scholar, so i admit i feel quite out of my element in this area -
as for the Engels' definition, i admit i am always leery of defs. that
suppose
that are "general laws" for nature, human society, and thought,

and while i understand how dialectics are often reduced to something
simplistic
about inner contraditions,
i think the idea of eco-bio-social relations are more productive, in terms
of understanding
the untapped mess of human bodies and emotions, which, in the long run,
are what push the world to its extremes, n'est pas? lust, greed, hatred,
conceit, etc. -gotta get a fix on what that's doing to us all...

thanks again
diane
                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu