Re: an object for Hegel

From: Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad@goteborg.utfors.se)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 15:41:51 PDT

Diane, dear

I think you have forgotten there are people around here who lack a sense of
humour, or have one that is diametrally opposite to yours. Or you have
repressed the memory... I know, with your back and all, you cannot really
sit down and write at the moment. But I do think that you have a serious
question there, somewhere, about the possibility of dialectics being wrong,
or a not fruitful way of reasoning... or... well, I wish you could tell us
a little more.

And I shall not deny that I'm trying to get another gratis lesson out of Andy.

Myself, I rather tend to smooch everything together, which may be a sin, or
a less scientific mode of interacting than some would have us perform. Said
in more flattering terms, I prefer reconciliations -- and I think exploring
them is also worthwhile in the current state of the world and this list. I
am always painfully aware (or not so painfully, just pragmatically) that no
one person can complete all the challenging intellectual tasks of today.

I just mean, about dialectics, I just cannot focus on finding its flaws in
such a general and abstract way, as a mode of thinking. But I'm very
interested to learn from others who do -- and to see if we can align across
these gaps in time and space to begin to make a common sense about what we
are talking about.

Eva

PS for Andy: You cannot know, but perhaps guess, how the poor word "object"
has been worried like a bone on this list for years and years, until
sometimes it is just a combination of six letters.