Re(2): Re(2): psychoanalysis and...CHAT

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 09:43:40 PDT

dan writes:
>Interesting discussion; again, I need to relay to you all that another
>domain heavily utilized within media arts, along with Freudian
>psychoanalysis is the
various
> stripes of feminist theory; Gramschi and
>all that. I'm beginning to regret I took another turn in my studies into
>education. Please continue.

if it's any consolation, Dan, i *deeply* regret focussing my formal
studies in education
and all of my informal studies in feminism, psychoanalysis, political
theories,
and so on, as education is still quite enamored with 'that which can be
measured' -
a financial need, i suspect, to garner funding, in this world of Science =
Money,
social Sciences, such as education, benefit from portraying research in
familiar scientific constructs. hence the absence of
philosophico-analytical
critiques, and the emphasis and interest in how units can be bordered and
measured
in contexts of performance results - etc.
not that i'm cynical, of course... ahem. and i am generalizing like a
horrible scholar ought not, but in terms of what dominates, what gets
funding, and what pays for promotions
it usually comes down to how scientific is your social - even, if not
especially - in education.

oiy am i gonna get it now.
but i hear you Dan. and there are pockets of dissension, which will rise
here
very shortly with their divergent and inclusive takes on what i just
posted.
(i've been bleaching the kitchen floors this morning: the fumes, i am
sure,
it's just the fumes...)
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu