Re(2): Re(2): psychoanalysis and...CHAT

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@mail.lesley.edu)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 21:16:20 PDT

HI Diane,

I see what you indexed below as not so much having to do with science, but having to do with the political side (ala Dewey) of education, i.e. education=votes=power. Granted, it seems the 'lay' understanding is that science (or is it math?) has a lot to do with measurement, and embedded in that belief is power -- the crafty political professional can exploit this belief, and the crafty proposal-writer can exploit it in turn, but some scientists (some of whom may also be proposal-writers) think of measurement as only one facet of a many-sided socially-organized endeavor. Case in point -- much botany has little to do with measurement. Not to mix apples and oranges here, of course.

I agree that there is a lot of education research that follows quantitative scripts (i.e. intervene and calculate the ANOVA) that makes things *appear* more scientific, and I can say I have not studied enough of these situations to draw conclusions that I feel can stand up to scrutiny. Yet what I know of many prominant scientists is that their focus has been on understanding something -- and the balance of quantitive and qualitative methods relied upon the questions they were asking.

One of the truely intruiguing philosophical criticisms of physical science -- quantum mechanics -- came out of a little paper by Einstein, Podolsky and Rosen in 1935, and that still has not been resolved well despite a lot of attention in the last 20 years -- ironically, it has a lot to do with what measurement means.

The point being that the plethora of critique is what is valued in 'real science'.

bb