RE: RE: Re peter's april discussion paper

From: Nate (schmolze@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 18:59:15 PDT

Diane,

activity is an interesting word I have been finding myself saying activity
with a big A alot lately. I think the notion of Activity has an important
critical potential like with ideology and normalization practices. Things
like ideology and normalization have no meaning if they are not re/produced
in activity or micro practices.

Activity in my mind is an analytical tool where we can study the various
interrelations that occur between more stable notions of meaning and a given
community. By dynamic I am emphasizing its "relational" character rather
than some romantic idea of agency.

Yet, I may be wrong, just glanced at an article tonight that tells me its
all in the memes again. Behaviors, ideology etc. are like like a virus that
go on infecting every where it goes. My thinking is micro practices are
important not so much because they are consumption practices, but rather
that they produce. It seems that reproduction of ideology or normalization
often takes the form of those positive relations.

nATE

Nate Schmolze
http://www.geocities.com/nate_schmolze/
schmolze@students.wisc.edu

****************
"Overcoming the naturalistic concept of mental development calls for a
radically new approach
to the interrelation between child and society. We have been led to this
conclusion by a
special investigation of the historical emergence of role-playing. In
contrast to the view
that role playing is an eternal extra-historical phenomenon, we hypothesized
that role playing emerged at a specific stage of social development, as the
child's position in society changed
in the course of history. role-playing is an activity that is social in
origin and,
consequently, social in content."

                              D. B. El'konin